In the competitive online marketplace, the power of a well-crafted product description cannot be overstated. It's not just about listing features; it's about telling a story that resonates with your customers. This guide will provide you with step-by-step instructions to write product descriptions that are both descriptive and engaging.
So here are a few things I figured are essential for a great product description.
1. Understand Your Audience:
- Identify your Target Customer: Know who you are writing for. What are their interests, needs, and desires? If you know your customer you can write for him or her. Otherwise you are writing into the blue and your customer might not even understand the language (which are specific for your target market) you speak!
- Speak their Language: Use a tone and vocabulary that resonate with your audience. This is a result from what I mentioned above. You need to know your customer to speak her language.
2. Focus on Benefits, Not Just Features:
- Highlight Benefits: Explain how the features of your product can solve problems or improve your customer's life. That's essential: Usually we spend our hard earned money on something that improves our life.
- Use Relatable Scenarios: Create scenarios where your audience can visualize the benefits in action.
3. Create a Vivid Picture:
- Use Sensory Words: Describe how the product looks, feels, sounds, tastes, or smells to evoke the senses.
- Be Specific: Use precise adjectives and details to create a more vivid image.
4. Tell a Story:
- Narrative Approach: Weave a story around your product. How did it come to be? What journey does it offer the customer? Remember my abstract wall art and the story behind?
- Connect Emotionally: Stories that evoke emotions can make your product more memorable and desirable.
5. Optimize for Search Engines:
- Use Keywords Wisely: Include relevant keywords without overstuffing. Nothing is worse to read than a text written for search engines rather than humans!
- Be SEO Friendly: Write unique descriptions that are also search-engine friendly.
6. Keep it Readable and Scannable:
- Use Bullet Points: Highlight key features or benefits in a bulleted list.
- Short Paragraphs: Break text into shorter paragraphs to enhance readability.
7. Include a Call to Action:
- Motivate Your Readers: Encourage them to take action, whether it’s to make a purchase, learn more, or contact you for details.
8. Edit and Refine:
- Proofread: Check for grammar, spelling, and clarity.
- Test and Revise: Test different versions to see what resonates best with your audience.
Great product descriptions are an art. They require a balance of creativity, marketing savvy, and a deep understanding of your audience. By following these steps, you can craft descriptions that not only inform but also inspire and persuade your customers. While your words are important images speak more than 1000 words! So make sure you also underline your product and its value with images and, even better, with videos.
Wanna learn more about selling your art online? Join me in the Safari Lounge
Safari Lounge Designer Classes
Learn everything you need to know to become a successful Artist, Illustrator or Designer. Let's draw and paint together. And we also might plan your business together, it's all there, personal coaching included, I'm always just an email away!