As a digital artist, the start of a new year is the perfect time to set artistic goals and plan for success. Whether you aim to enhance your skills, expand your portfolio, or grow your online presence, setting clear objectives can significantly impact your artistic journey.
Let's explore how to effectively plan your year.
Reflect on the Past Year:
- Assess Last Year's Achievements: What did you accomplish? What worked well, and what didn’t?
- Learn from Past Experiences: Use your successes and challenges to inform this year’s goals.
Don't be afraid to mention failures. We just grow when we fail. So fail often, fail hard but get up and learn.
Setting SMART Goals:
- Specific: Define clear, precise goals. Instead of "improve drawing skills," aim for "master character design in digital art."
- Measurable: Set goals that you can quantify. For instance, "create two digital artworks per month."
- Achievable: Be realistic. Consider your current commitments and resources.
- Relevant: Your goals should align with your long-term aspirations as a digital artist.
- Time-bound: Set deadlines. Having a timeline creates urgency and helps track progress.
Developing a Skill Enhancement Plan:
- Identify Key Skills to Develop: Choose specific skills that will enhance your art, like learning advanced Procreate techniques or exploring traditional watercolor to grow as an artist.
- Create a Learning Schedule: Dedicate regular time for practice and learning. Online courses, tutorials, and workshops can be invaluable.
Expanding Your Portfolio:
- Diverse Projects: Plan to work on projects that push your boundaries and showcase your versatility.
- Personal Projects: Include projects that fuel your passion, as these often lead to your best work.
Growing Your Online Presence:
- Social Media Strategy: Plan regular posts and engagement on platforms like Instagram or Pinterest.
- Online Portfolio: Regularly update your online portfolio with your latest and best works.
- Networking: Engage with the digital art community, join groups, and participate in online forums and events. Join the Relax Lounge here at Digidesignresort, it's free!
Staying Motivated and Adaptable:
- Track Your Progress: Regularly review your goals and celebrate small victories. Maybe aim for checking in at the end of each month. It's nice to see what has already been accomplished and that you are on a good track!
- Stay Flexible: Be prepared to adapt your goals as the year unfolds. New opportunities or challenges may arise.
Planning your year as a digital artist involves setting achievable goals, continuously developing skills, expanding your portfolio, and growing your online presence. By following these steps, you can make this year your most successful and fulfilling yet as a digital artist.
My recommendation is to use a Bullet Journal. It's great to doodle on the one hand but also to keep track of your year.
If you need a buddy holding your hand you can also always join the
Safari Lounge Designer Classes
Learn everything you need to know to become a successful Artist, Illustrator or Designer. Let's draw and paint together. And we also might plan your business together, it's all there, personal coaching included, I'm always just an email away!