Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    View silkebr's Gallery

Creating and Shadowing a Bend Photo Effect

Technique for Designers and Scrappers: Selection, Warp tool, Layer Effects, Clipping Mask.
    By Papierstudio Silke (link)

When you create a layout - and you intend to simulate staples of photos, you may want to create this realistic bend effect with the corresponding shadows. See this sample:

this product will be in my store soon!

The shadows and how to turn them into convex or concave shapes without image distorting is very important.

I use PS CS3 and first of all, I will show you here how to achieve this effect in this program (CS2 and newer versions can take advantage of this tutorial also). At the end of this post, you will find some tips and tricks for other programs also.

So. let's start this step by step in Adobe Photoshop CS3:

1st Step
    Open a Photo and make a retangular selection - smaller than your orignal photo - and create a new layer under your photo layer and fill this selection with any color of your choice.

2nd Step:
    Go to Edit > transform > warp and change the shape to a convex or concave image format by dargging the little solid dots represent handles that will modify the courves.
    Any of the lines (paths, splines) or anchors can be dragged to where you want them.

If you are still in doubt how to do these two first steps - watch this video here
    3rd Step (OPTIONAL - using manual shadowing)
    Now we can add shadow manually by selecting the shape and creating a layer below and filling with a dark brown (not black) color. I think that dark brown shadows are more realistic than pure black.
    And now you have to blur - filter >blur> gaussian blur> and set it between 4 and 14 depending on the image size you are using. Go directly to step 6.

4th Step - using DROP SHADOW
    hit with the right mouse button on the layer palette, and open the Drop Shadow menu.
    Choose the settings that you most like, or use mine here below, but remember that these settings can vary - depending on the image size you are using.

5th Step - create a new layer from the layer effect (fx icon)
    right click on the little fx icon in the layer palette and hit the option CREATE LAYER.
    Skip this step if you did the step 3.

6th Step
    Edit > transform > rotate this layer 180º

7th Step
    Let's go again to edit> transform> warp and drag the lines and dots in order to hide the unwanted edges.

8th Step
    Now we are going to clip our photo to this concave/ convex shape. Click with your right mouse button on the photo layer and choose from the menu the create clipping mask option. (or hit CTRL +Alt+G)
    If needed, adjust the size of your shape to the photo size.

9th Step: adding a Border to your Photo.
    To add a border, SELECT THE LAYER below your photo
    and choose the Stroke effect from the layer effect options (fx icon in the layer palette).

And you can also add a very discrete shadow to your photo - apply it to the same layer where you added the stroke.

Here is the end result:

Tip - for other program users:
    use the pen tool to create a concave or convex shape form.
    Make a rectangle shape and use the direct selection tool to edit the curves and edges.

Duplicate, rotate and use Gaussian Blur (values around 8) to create the shadow layer.
    See here below a step by step for different programs from PS CS.

I have a new product - Bend and Paint - visit my store:

Happy Scrappings! Have a nice week and visit our monthly RAK - where you can win a kit from Maria Designs or a Discount Coupon to my store.

Silke
    Last edited by silkebr; 08-28-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    ------------------------------------------
    *****happy scrappings *****
    Silke
    My Store: Papierstudio Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

WOW what a great technique Silke, I'm going to try this, thank you!!!
    Hugs, Elaine

View justbnsharon's Gallery
    I love this - but poor me - I've only got PSE7 and I don't think that it will work - but I'll give it a try. I love frames like this so if I figure it out every frame I ever use will be done this way - LOL!!!

View silkebr's Gallery
    Sharon - earlier PS versions do not have the warp tool in the transform command. So you can achieve the same result by using PATHS.

In a new layer - below your photo, create a rectangular selection - a little bit smaller than the photo. Go to Path palette and choose Make work path from selection.

Now go to the Pen tool and ADD two Anchor Points and then with the direct selection tool drag these down to make a curve.

5drag_anchor_point copy.jpg

Fill the path with a dark brown color for your shadow in the layer below of your image.

Now you have to set this layer to 50% opacity and apply a gaussian blur filter with a value ca. 8 to 14.

At this point you have to create a new layer above this shadow layer in order to bend the image without distorting.
    Choose another foreground color and use your path palette again and repeat the command - FILL PATH
    Now delete your path (using the path palette)

Rotate this layer 180º and clip the image to this layer.

Use the eraser to delete unwanted parts.
    And add an additional very small drop shadow like my settings here:

and here is the final result
    Silke
    Hidden Content

5. Bending

Thank you so much for the insight into this unusual technique! Now I've just got to try it!
    Val Jackson

6. This is a great tutorial and I would love to be able to do this. I have a mac and pse 6. I'm hoping this isn't one of those things that pse and a mac can't do. I do use pse alot but I still haven't learned everything. I couldn't find Go to Path palette and choose Make work path from selection. And the Pen tool isn't on my version, at least that I can see. And size, opacity, hue jitter, scatter & roundness - That's located up top where you'd pick your brush size. So I don't think your talking about that. Oh, and I use a wacom tablet. TUIA!

Thanks for the explanation. I use CS2 on Mac, and followed right along with the first part. I'm going to be using this A LOT :-) . Sometimes straight photo's just don't do it for me, and now they don't have to. Is there a way to drag the points together, so the bend is equal? Couldn't figure that part out, if there is.
    Thanks again for your time and knowledge sharing.

View silkebr's Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I use CS2 on Mac, and followed right along with the first part. I'm going to be using this A LOT :-) . Sometimes straight photo's just don't do it for me, and now they don't have to. Is there a way to drag the points together, so the bend is equal? Couldn't figure that part out, if there is.
    Thanks again for your time and knowledge sharing.
    For equal dragging try the DISTORT tool instead of the wrap tool!
    Silke
    Hidden Content

View silkebr's Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattie's passion View Post
    This is a great tutorial and I would love to be able to do this. I have a mac and pse 6. I'm hoping this isn't one of those things that pse and a mac can't do. I do use pse alot but I still haven't learned everything. I couldn't find Go to Path palette and choose Make work path from selection. And the Pen tool isn't on my version, at least that I can see. And size, opacity, hue jitter, scatter & roundness - That's located up top where you'd pick your brush size. So I don't think your talking about that. Oh, and I use a wacom tablet. TUIA!
    May be someone with PSE can help here.
    Suggestion: you can also draw the shadow with your tablet using a very soft dark brown color in the layer under your distorted shape.
    Silke
    Hidden Content